Surf & Co Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Messageboard for lost members of the old surf.co.nz forum

2 posters

Surf DvD Reviews

scootertrash
    scootertrash

Surf DvD Reviews Empty Surf DvD Reviews

Post  scootertrash Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 am

Know an amping DvD or seeking one ?
    scootertrash
    scootertrash

Surf DvD Reviews Empty One California Day

Post  scootertrash Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:32 am

It's not a Study of one day in Cali but a look at the life of the surf culture capital of the world through the eyes of some of it's finest cultural exponents.

This enthralling mini epic is shot in 16mm film and ranges from following the brothers Malloy and Curren as they prove Indonesia's lack of magnetism when faced with whats an local adventure away, before casually moving on to a look at the craftsmanship and creativity of Skip Frye and Jed and Greg Noll as they look in every direction for inspiration.
    Finally all bases are covered with the modern style masters of Knost ,Gamboa, Perlee ,tudor and Hatzikian mixing it up on all nature of surf craft as California turns on one of the swells of the decade.

I must admit until watching this DVD i had no interest in ever surfing California even with it's epic breaks like 'the 'Bu' and 'Blackies' but now I'm of a different opinion, should the opportunity arise I'm on it like mustard on ham.
    This is another master crafted movie by Jason Baffa and he hits all the spots ... its high performance but cultural and easily maintains the individuality of the surf spots and their participants, therefore i declare this 'a little disc shaped slice of heaven'

scootertrash
    scootertrash

Surf DvD Reviews Empty Drive Thru NZ

Post  scootertrash Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Great Expectations can be a bad thing.
    I've been a 'drive thru' series fan since 'Drive thru California'
    The concept of a fun couple of weeks on the road
    and footage of real waves like the ones we mortals surf 80% of the time appeals to me more than the industry standard Indo barrelfest dvd's.
    This is a two dvd set with a couple of hours of antics and surf footage from all round Aotearoa and it is lighthearted and fun packed with the off the beach antics nearly beating out the surf for the primo spot.
    Fortunately the Waves do star and thanks to no names being mentioned locals can be proud without the crowd.
    (see it can work not to name breaks eh... rip girl the dearth of Search)

Personally it should have been my favorite but now slips in behind south Africa and California as 3rd spot contender due too...
    too much filler not enuf killer.
    Rating: 6/10
    Watch when: Your thinking of packing up the car.
    Favorite section: Brown water town.
    scootertrash
    scootertrash

Surf DvD Reviews Empty Re: Surf DvD Reviews

Post  scootertrash Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:31 pm

I Loved the book by Tim Baker
    even though i never really condoned the idea the 'bronzed aussies'
    being as revolutionary as they'd like us to remember .
    As a film i've got to admit personally the "Dogtown Doco" formula
    is past its use by date and can detract if the story is not really that over the top.
    so overall this was a okay way to blow 90min on a crappy winters day but i'm positive i wont watch it again.
    Rating ; 2/5
    Broken leg ? or love rewritten history ?
    seeka
    seeka

Post  seeka Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:40 am

cheers.

cali does look good ae?

i never realised mr had such a long neck!...like a turtle.

i can't help but blame the early pro crew for the crowds we see at most popular breaks these days. i know when i first started surfing you never saw it on the news or tv ads, hell you were lucky if you find a surf t shirt...then during the late 80's it seemed to be thrust in your face everywhere...seemed every ad agency wanted to jump on the wagon.

anyway...i digress.

Laird is not a bad view...kinda old now, but once you get past the americo hype it has a pretty good sound track and some good waves.
    scootertrash
    scootertrash

Surf DvD Reviews Empty Surfwise

Post  scootertrash Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:49 pm

Surf DvD Reviews Surfwise

Do larger than life figures ever live up to the hype?
    This Surfing documentary follows Dorian 'Doc' Paskowitz and his family living in a 24' camper reviewing the years as they lived the 'Doc' philosophy of
    'Living clean' and 'surfing clean' and on the bones of your ass!

What could have been the alternative Surfers dream lifestyle and for a while in this film the dream appears that way inclined.
    From the start this is a well thought out film with a great premise and cast,
    only question being can a way of life be encapsulated into 93min and still leave is feeling we know the clan better?

Fortunately the documentary hauls you in with love and passion and good intentions of serving humanity and learning through austerity and unsurprisingly all things become balanced and "Real" life prevails with the crew learning what the lost by living 'Doc's" dream.
    The Paskowitz's share so freely it really touches your heart

'Doc' may have raised his hand against his kids but who's to judge ?
    like he said he just wanted to really be involved with his kids growing and maybe he should have learned to control himself before trying to control others who cares !! he's openly human and i love him more for it .

It was great to see no one tried to create a Utopian lie of their lifestyle
    Overall a great film that Really gets a message across and we'd better listen
    cos we can change us but not society.

Rating: 8/10
    Favorite section: David singing to he camera the song he wrote to 'Doc"

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 am