Surf & Co Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Messageboard for lost members of the old surf.co.nz forum

Center fins for single fin boards

scootertrash
    scootertrash

Center fins for single fin boards Empty Center fins for single fin boards

Post  scootertrash Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:25 am

CENTER FIN POSITION

The position of the center fin can vary from surfer to surfer. I have included a basic guide from the Cambell brothers. This is not etched in stone. Please feel free to experiment.
    A few general rules are:

1. If you are having trouble finishing out turns and cutbacks, or are not getting up and down the face quickly enough, you should move your fin up approximately 1/8'' to 1/4''.

2. If you are digging rails, or catching rails in the front 18'' to 24'' during cutbacks, you should move your fin back approximately 1/8'' to 1/4''.

3. The leading edge of the the center fin usually ends up about even with the trailing edge (at the base) of the of side fins, plus or minus 1/4''.

Please understand that these are basic guidelines, and are relative to where you stand on your board, and if you are standing in the right spot according to your style and the type of board you are riding.

* Contemporary Shortboards:
    o 6'' fin -- 5 1/2'' to 5 3/4'' from the tail, 6 1/2'' fin -- 5 3/4'' from the tail, 7'' fin -- 5 3/4'' to 6'' from the tail.
    On boards over 7'0'' fin may be moved up as desired.

* Eggs:
    o 6'' fin -- 5 1/2'' to 5 3/4'' from the tail. 6 1/2'' fin -- 5 3/4'' from the tail. 7'' fin -- 5 3/4'' to 6'' from the tail. On eggs over 7'2'' fin may be moved up as desired.

Just a thought!
    scootertrash
    scootertrash

Center fins for single fin boards Empty Star Fin

Post  scootertrash Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:24 am

Center fins for single fin boards Starfin
    As used by single fin freak Shane Horan
    in the 9'1" its a nice fin but doesn't seem to aid nose riding
    and always snags the legrope
    but held in well at DOH aras
    and good on smaller days though you seem to need to really crank the board to get it to turn.
    Strangely i haven't used it in my single fin boards
    i'll edit up an review when i do.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 am